Facebook us!

Richmond City FC is a certified non-profit organization with a mission of promoting amateur football/soccer in the Richmond area, as well as giving back to the local community.
More about RCFC »

The RCFC crest

The Richmond City FC crest was designed in the winter of 1999 by City player and past Club President - Christian Falyar who sought to give his club the 'Fusion' some Richmond identity. Christian's goal was to promote the club and its Richmond origins and recognize the people and places responsible for putting Richmond on the map.

The crest is maroon and consists of a four-quarter shield design with the initials 'R.C.F.C.' centered in the middle.

The top left panel consists of the St. George's Cross, recognizing the importance of the English in founding Richmond. In 1607, Captains Christopher Newport and John Smith made the first organized attempt to settle at the Falls of the James near what is now the 14th St. bridge in downtown Richmond.

The top right panel has the Roman numeral seven. When Richmond was incorporated as a city in 1782, it was dubbed "Rome of the New World" because like Rome, it was built on seven hills. Church Hill, which overlooks downtown, the Shockoe Bottom and Shockoe Slip, is the oldest neighborhood in Richmond.

The bottom right panel displays a raven, honoring writer Edgar Allen Poe. Poe was raised in Richmond (following the death of his mother) from 1811 to 1826, after which he attended the University of Virginia. He later returned to Richmond in 1835 and was the editor of the Southern Literary Messenger until 1837. He married his young cousin Virginia Clem, and his last Richmond address was at Moldavia on 5th and Main streets. "The Raven" was published in 1845 and made Poe famous with its spectacular success.

The bottom left panel contains an eighteen paneled football. There is another version of the RCFC crest with a modern style football, but it is being scrapped for being too "predictable". The original design is meant to recognise football and its origins, paying homage to such greats such as Billy Wright, Fritz Walter and Ferenc Puskas - men who played the game with a passion for club and country.

'R.C.F.C.' is emblazened across the middle of the crest - in gold - representing the clubs' commitment to excellence both on and off the field